Internet Offers 15% Pleasure Of Reality



I swiftly delete my complete browsing history and close half a dozen tabs on the browser with one click on the red cross button on the top right corner of the browser window. I slowly get up from my throne and stretch and flex my muscles a bit, probably sore from sitting for past 3 hours in front of the computer. As I drink some water to re-hydrate myself, I start feeling weird.



It hits me that although I spend hours on the Internet each day, the output of pleasure I derive from it is not much. It doesn't matter if I watch a movie, listen few albums, chat with friend or watch really some fun videos on youtube. It simply doesn't matter what I do on the Internet, I just don't get that high that I am supposed to get from it. And it doesn't take me over a few minutes to reason out why the Internet always leaves my pleasure receptors less than satisfied each time.



Having fun on Internet is not even close to what it feels to have fun in real life. So it doesn't matter what one decides to do on the Internet, it is just 15% fun of doing the same thing in reality. Lets take a simple example, watch a concert clip of your favourite band or musician on youtube. I am sure it feels so good. Now recollect how you felt when you saw a live music gig or concert in the past. I don't know about you but when I picture the same, I recollect my live music experiences so much better. Even amateur bands or jamming with friends seems such a deep and enriching experience. Or similarly having 3 dozen people online on your IM screen seems so feeble compared to having a great time with friends in real.



So although you can get a copy of every aspect of real life on the Internet, it simply doesn't match up to the real reality. Or maybe its because Internet engages only 2 senses i.e sight and sound, whereas reality engages 4 or all 5 senses i.e sight, sound, smell, touch and occasionally taste too.



The purpose of my writing this article isn't to tell you how much the Internet sucks or why you should try abstaining from it. Instead I say indulge in your Internet use as much as you want but, don't let your reality, your real life fade away while you do so. Aim for a better reality, for the ideal life that you wish for, always and let the Internet be a tool that helps you achieve that ideal reality.