Is Your Sense Of Reality Built Over Half Truths?



We base our reality on what we see around us. We believe what we've grown used to seeing since infancy. We've seen stars, and we've heard they're far. We've felt the breeze and we've read its invisible. And we've accepted it. We've accepted these facts because we can’t touch the stars or see the breeze. What if everything we see around us is similarly a conjured perception that we've built over truths and half truths?




Think about this: what if you saw red instead of yellow and yellow instead of red all your life. How would you even know there's something wrong? Everything you relate to is a standard defined upon perceptions. So no matter how hard you try all those tests will say you're right, but you could be very very wrong.



I first pondered on the subject of relativity of reality when I had a dream. This dream was the most absurd dream you could think of. I can hardly recollect it now but I remember when I woke up I told myself it made no sense. Yet when I was dreaming it made complete sense. So much sense that I believed by every fiber in me that, it was what truth was. Maybe if I had never woken up that would've forever been my reality. It would be true yet so false.




And as I think more I sink further. Further down a path I'm not sure I'm consciously taking any more. After a while its not you walking down a path, its the path taking you across. Like a fair woman who pulls your hand and takes you into her home, you unsuspectingly follow. But a few steps later you realize something is missing. The lights are fading. The floor is shaking. The sounds are drowning. But you still follow. Because by then following is the only thing you know. Its the only thing you ever knew.



And as you go further you learn. But knowledge isn't like what it's portrayed to be. It isn't something that makes you powerful. On the contrary it makes you really weak. A child who knows not fear is much more willing to touch a sleeping lion than a grown man.



What I see is that reality isn't definite. Reality is what we construct to make ourselves feel secure. That we're safe in this little meat suit that we're stuck in. That we're all powerful in our "lil circle". We draw this circle around our home, our workplace, around stuff we know. And we stand in pride, filled actually by a sense of security. We're only happy that we're not cowering in fear. And even in this circle we can so easily be squished. Yet we pretend that everything is alright.



Maybe all basis of reality is such self fulfillment of insecurity. Maybe our brain is tailor made to make sense of our surroundings and not really find the "truth". That could be why when we're immersed in a dream the dream becomes our reality and we adapt so well to it.



But then that brings me to an important question. Is death in reality similar to death in a dream? How many of us have experienced death? No not waking up at the moment we're supposed to die, but actual death itself. The feeling of non-existence, of floating in a place so dark but yet so comforting. Maybe what comforts us is that we're finally free of our insecurities.



Is there really a point to dwelling on such a self destructive thought? What is there to gain in knowing what lies beyond? Especially when what we have at hand itself is far too much to comprehend.



It's at times like this when one almost feels like giving up that an old thought crosses your mind...

"The truth shall set you free"